Skip to main content

12 weeks, 3 days

It's hard to believe that if I would have had to keep the Halo on for the full duration I would only have been free 3 days.

I also can hardly fathom that its only been 3 weeks since the damn thing came off.

I went in for xrays on the 4th and had my final doctor appointment. While I was waiting for the xrays to come back a girl walked in with a Halo on. She appeared to have no other injuries and was walking on her own and seemed almost comfortable looking but she made no eye contact with anyone but her family. I wanted to speak to her and see how she was doing, but was too shy to approach her and her large family.

My recovery from the accident is ongoing. Now that the Halo is off I just want to feel normal again! Other parts of my body are taking there sweet time. I still have neck soarness and can't sleep normally. I've tried sleeping on my stomach, but the bend in my lower back is too much to bear. I can sleep on my sides, but stupidly got my tattoo touched up last Sunday and now can't sleep on my left side for very long. doh!  For some reason my shoulders compress when I sleep on my sides and its all I can do to not let out a yelp when i change positions. W is fearful of touching me because most spots on my body ache and I cringe.

I went to the salon last Saturday and got my hair evened out. The chunks they shaved to clear the scalp for the pins is only about an inch long and makes my hair look flatter than it already is. Luckily you can't tell by looking as my longer strands cover up the shave growth. But having short hair again takes some getting used to. My neck gets cold but I love how easy it is to blow dry and get ready in the morning. I've even contemplated a pixie cut -- but maybe not. I don't think I'm girly enough to pull it off.

Each day does get better. I know I sound bitter, but I also know I will heal. My body has proven to me that it wants it as much as my brain and together it's happening. I long for days where I can run and jump and not feel the constant ache. And when I do I will remember days like this and love it soo much more.

Comments

  1. Hello, I also have recently had my Halo removed. Aug 30 2010. How are you feeling now? How has you neck healed? Do you still feel any effects of the injury at all? I would love to hear from you. Thanks Bryan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

weight loss and gain

Before the accident I was a comfortable 145 - not too thin, not too plump. The ten days in the hospital left me ten pounds lighter. I had a tiny appetite and the food that was served was ever rarely what I ordered. I would consider myself a picky eater, but on the healthy side. Chicken dripping in gravy makes me think of clogged arteries, steak and potatoes is a heart attack - and the taste is dry and chewy. All I wanted was juicy fruit and vegetables. I ate up all the greens I could they hadn't wilted before they arrived to me. A friend brought me raspberries and I was in heaven! But eating with the halo was not easy... or pretty to watch. With the halo on I could not tilt my head to accommodate a large bite and would often leave most of the fork contents down my front. Sometimes they went down the inside of the vest! Lots of cookie crumbs ended up there... Eating something with my hands took a little getting used to as well. I had a broken right wrist in a brace for the first

5 weeks, 3 days

I've decided to start a blog on my experiences with my halo cervical neck brace. I've searched and searched for other peoples experiences and can't find much. There are a lot of questions being asked and not a lot of answers. I will attempt to be as honest as possible about my experience in the hopes that someone finds this and makes their stay in the brace a little bit easier. I was fitted with a cervical neck brace, also known as a Halo, on October 18, 2009. One day after my very very bad motorcycle crash.